Your Diet May Be Aging You Prematurely
September 21, 2016
The benefits of a healthy diet are well known, but now there is another good reason to watch what you eat.
Recent research shows that a poor diet, one rich in foods such as sugar and processed carbohydrates, can affect your appearance by damaging collagen, which is essential for maintaining firm skin.
Excessive amounts of trans fats, sugar, and processed carbohydrates contain inflammatory agents called “Advanced Glycation End Products” (AGE) which not only damage your skin, they contribute to other health problems such as heart disease and diabetes.
To avoid damaging collagen, here are a few of the foods to avoid:
- Potato chips, French fries, and other foods that are deep-fried in oil. These can add to your AGE level.
- Doughnuts and sugary pastries contain excessive amounts of sugar, which can lead to increased skin wrinkling.
- Hot dogs, bacon, pepperoni, and other processed meats contain high levels of saturated fats and nitrates, both of which also raise AGE levels.
- Fatty meats, which are also high in saturated fats.
- Excessive amounts of alcohol can speed the aging process. Moderate alcohol consumption can be beneficial and is described as one drink per day for women and two for men.
If you want to improve your chances of maintaining healthy, younger-looking skin, increase your consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lean protein.
Particularly good are romaine lettuce, tomatoes, watermelon, grapefruit, guavas, asparagus, red cabbage, salmon, tuna, lentils, and beans, which are all rich in a nutrient called lycopene and protect cells from damage and helps prevent heart disease, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), as well as cancer of the prostate, breast, lung, bladder, ovaries, colon, and pancreas.
Your Thinner You program takes the guesswork out of eating right because you have the support of a personal nutritionist who will help you avoid foods that age, and recommend foods that energize and contribute to better health.
For more information on how Thinner You can help you shed those stubborn pounds once and for all, call us today at (000) 000-0000 or visit http://thinneryoucenters.com/weight-loss/ and schedule a free consultation.